Tim Time Tracker Help
The app is not showing in the menu bar
macOS hides menu bar items if there isn't enough space. Try closing other items or you can reorder the app to the right by holding ⌘ command and dragging the icon
Where is the data file?
You should use the Backups feature in the app's Settings to restore data. However, live data is stored at: ~/Library/Containers/neat.software.Tim/Data/Library/Preferences/neat.software.Tim.plist
Contact us if you need it decrypted to an importable file.
Can I import data from another time tracking app?
Tim expects a specific JSON format to import, however some open source conversion tools are available.
Can I export data from the command line?
To pipe data to a file: osascript -e 'tell application "Tim" to export' > data.json
What does the Pro version include?
See the Pro info page
Where do I enter my license key?
If you bought the app directly and were issued a license key code, you don't have to enter it anywhere. The direct purchase version already comes fully Pro unlocked. Please save it for support purposes. If you need assistance or need to be reissued a copy, we can verify your purchase with the key.
I am unable to restore my previous App Store
If you bought the app prior to version 7.0 (Oct 2022), the purchase currently cannot be restored in the app. The reason being the older version was paid upfront and newer versions are free with an in-app purchase upgrade, so the product SKU is different. You can contact us with your receipt and we will issue you a promo code.
How do I redeem a promo code?
1) Goto the App Store app. 2) Click your user name in the bottom left to goto the Account page. 3) Click Redeem Gift Card in the top right. 4) After entering your code, the app should recognize it when you go through the purchase process.
What is the refund policy?
Since the app has a free version to try, we generally do not offer refunds. If you bought the app through the App Store, you can request a refund from Apple at their discretion.
Do you offer a discount for students?
Yes! Please visit Student App Centre which will verify your student status and provide you a discount code.
- AppleScript: Open the Script Editor app then File -> Open Dictionary... -> Tim.app
- Shortcuts: Open the Shortcuts app then locate Tim in the Apps tab. You can then build shortcuts in the UI.
- x-callback-url: Tim supports the x-callback-url standard, allowing a calling app to receive information. You can use tim://x-callback-url/getCurrentUrl?x-success=https://www.apple.com to get the current Tim deep link url and pass it to the specified x-success url.
- tim:// - Is the url scheme & will open the app
- tim://[id] - Go to a task/group by ID. You can copy the id from the task/group edit window and click the info button.
- tim://[id]?action=start¬es=My%20Notes - Start a task timer by id with optional record notes.
- tim://?action=stop - Stop any running timer.
- tim://create?type=[task|group]&title=My%20Title¬es=My%20Notes - Create a new task/group. Additional fields are optional.